13 October, 2004

fall reflection

as i walk out of my building this morning i am greeted by the wind whispering to me that fall is here and that my winter dreams are well on their way.

the crisp breeze and chilly misty rain has coaxed an abundance of leaves to escape their prisons in the sky and cover the sidewalks in a collage of oranges, reds, and yellows, pasted down by a light coating of a paste-like rain.

the sky is a fallish shade of dim grey, a depressing color to some, but an invigorating color to those of us in the northland that get shivers at seeing that color, not as a result of the coolness in the air that it brings, but because it's a sign that the much anticipated turn of seasons is in progress.

jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, and coffee adorn many a corporate-american this morning on their way into work - one more sign that the fall has officially taken it's hold on the lives of those around me.

many people say it is the perfect day to be at work, but i for one think the opposite - i'd much rather be encompassed by mother-nature on a day like this than in the middle of the summer when the sun is bright and the men are tossing around a football half-naked.

i stop walking and take a deep breath through my nose and mouth at the same time - the world momentarily stops around me and i'm surrounded by a chilly peace.

this is my energy.

this is my salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment