20 September, 2004

love won out

this weekend i took a stand against the right-wing christian ideal that glbt folks, like myself, can (and should) escape this horrible life of sin and turn back to the straight godhead.

myself, and my friend nick, took our signs to arden hills, minnesota to protest the love won out conference. i donned my sign that read in big bold letters "i am a gay christian." among the 30 or so people at our peaceful protest, we were the oldest, at a mere 23 and 26. a majority of the kids came from highland park high school in saint paul... my blessings on all of you guys 10-fold.

this was a new step for me. and a scary one. i didn't know what to expect, yet i went anyway, the conviction to go woke me up that morning and i would have just died all weekend had i not stood up for my rights and beliefs.

i was touched by the support we had from random kids telling us stories of how the news of the protest went through every class on friday and that earlier in the day they had at least 2x as many protesters. i was also horrified at the amount of people who drove by and chose to flip the bird or swear obscenities out their windows at peaceful youth, bearing signs reading "i am a gay christian", "agape", and "celebrate diversity." what is it about these oh so peaceful and loving comments that scare and intimidate people to the point of being obscene.

people, it's a fucked-up world we live in if we can't even gather peacefully to celebrate our differences without being attacked.

as a gay human being it's not just my responsibility to perpetuate love in this situation... it's yours too.

stand up against hatred.

i am a gay christian

No comments:

Post a Comment