10 August, 2006

threshold

i have crossed a threshold in my new school experience - i have completed my first grad school paper!!!

my 3-5 page paper turned into an 8 pager with the help of my new coffee shop and a glass of killer shiraz. i tell you, grad school is turning out to be a TON more fun that my undergrad... i mean... i NEVER finished a paper in undergrad while buzzed from booze - i think i'm going to like grad school = )

one complaint though, APA FORMAT. i mean, who the HELL writes with only one space after periods and no blank lines between sections to give formatting??? i guess one plus is that i can write in courier 12pt which fills a page in approx 2 words - lol.

ok, i'm going home, the shop closes in 20 minutes and i should get some rest so i can proofread what i wrote tomorrow before i go to work.

one last note - i love the new apple wireless mighty mouse, it fuckin' kicks ass... no... really.

3 comments:

  1. I had the same thing with the one space after periods thing when I went back to college a couple years ago. I remember the two spaces after periods being drilled into my brain in gradeschool by my teachers.

    It took me a long time (and a lot of backspacing) to get used to doing just one space, but now I think I got it down. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck, I use the "Replace" function in Microsoft Word to find all my double spaces...you type in 2 spaces in the "find" field & type in only 1 space in the "replace" field. It works like a charm & you don't have to double check every single place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. APA was invented to be the grad-school equivalent to frat hazing: It makes no sense, it may be dangerous, you've got to endure it to get your ticket. I have had to learn THREE formats: Chicago Manual of Style, APA, and legal "bluebook". Of all of them, I think that APA makes the least sense. Who the H*** cares, anyway, about spacing? If that isn't a control issue that the APA might better spend its time considering, I don't know what is.

    In any event, speaking as a one-time perpetual grad student, congratulations on the first paper (you made me homesick for my old stomping grounds).

    Dwight

    ReplyDelete